Cleansing Your Space
Cleaning your space energetically can be as important to your well-being as cleaning it physically. Cleansing regularly can help improve the energetic flow in your space and help introduce more positive energy into your home. You can easily cleanse the energy in your space in a few short minutes with the help of your favourite incense.
HOW DOES THIS ENERGY CLEARING WORK?
Ancient cultures around the world engaged in the practice of burning herbs and resins to eliminate negative energies from themselves and their surroundings. The practice of burning sage and other herbs has now been proven to have scientific merit, due to the release of negative ions into the atmosphere which research has linked to more positive moods and an overall sense of relief and wellbeing.
Negative ions are odourless, tasteless, and invisible molecules that we inhale in abundance when in particular environments. These environments can be naturally occurring such as the mountains, or in areas where there is an abundance of water – such as at the beach or by a waterfall. We can also manufacture these environments within our homes through the burning of natural herbs and resins.
Once these molecules are inhaled and absorbed into our bloodstream, these negative ions produce biochemical reactions that increase levels of serotonin, a mood chemical that helps to alleviate depression, relieve stress, and even boost energy. In studies of people suffering from chronic, as well as seasonal depression, negative ion generators were proven to relieve depression as much as prescription antidepressants.
What a good feeling it is to know that even if you don’t have access to mountains, or natural bodies of water, you can still enjoy and obtain the benefits of negative ions and eliminate negative energy from your home and person simply by keeping with ancient tradition and burning natural herbs and resins.
Here are a few steps you can follow to get you started:
- Open a window in each room you are cleansing to give the smoke and negative energy a place to escape.
- Have positive thoughts, prayers, mantras, affirmations, and intentions in mind to say while cleansing. These can be said out loud or silently to yourself. For example: “I fill this room, house, etc, with light and love”, or don't say anything, the intention is also very powerful.
- Move throughout the space you want to purify, moving around the edge while waving the incense or sage up and down near the walls and up into the corners of the room while repeating your positive affirmations from the previous step.
- Repeat as needed. You can cleanse your space as often as you feel is necessary.
- I love light a candle at the end, as a symbol of gratitude.
Don't forget that the smoke from incense can also be used as a way to energetically cleanse your crystals or jewellery. The belief as to why this works is because smoke not only changes the structure of energy around a person or a place, it has an influence in an object as well, breaking through lower vibrational energies such as negative thinking or stressful emotions. The smoke produced by different herbs, woods and resins affects these energies in different ways.
"The energy of the mind is the essence of life." - Aristotle